International General Certificate of Secondary Education
The Cambridge IGCSE programme is offered to students of classes 9 and 10 at The Shri Ram School, Moulsari Campus. IGCSE is an academically challenging and balanced programme of education that prepares students for success at university and life beyond. It has been designed to address the intellectual, social, emotional and physical well-being of students.
IGCSE is a balanced curriculum and a flexible course of study. It encourages high academic standards through a practical approach to teaching and learning. Assessment is not limited to conventional written papers and they consist of a variety of tests; e.g. oral and listening tests.
Cambridge IGCSE develops learner knowledge, understanding and skills in:
- Subject content
- Applying knowledge and understanding to new as well as unfamiliar situations
- Intellectual enquiry
- Flexibility and responsiveness to change
- Working and communicating in English
- Influencing outcomes
- Cultural awareness.
Most subjects offer a choice between core curriculum and extended curriculum.
This gives students of all ability levels the freedom to choose subjects that are right for them and, thereby, the opportunity to score good grades.
The core curriculum is an overview of the subject and is suitable for students who are expected to achieve grades C to G.
The extended curriculum is like a specialisation in that subject. It is more challenging and designed for students who are expected to achieve grades A+ to C.
Grading, course load, and awarding
The IGCSE is graded on an 8-point scale from A* to G.
The Cambridge examination board offers an ICE (International Certificate of Education) group qualification for candidates who attempt 7 or 9 subjects and pass with A* to C across the following groups:
The ICE is awarded in three grades: Distinction, Merit and Pass.
Humanities and Social Sciences (History, Geography, English Literature , Economics, Environmental Management, Global Perspectives)
Sciences (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Environmental Management,
Computer Science, Business Studies, Art and Design, Design and Technology
At The Shri Ram School,
- Students will study 9 subjects (7 subjects according to the following options+2 from any of the groups).
- The seven subjects must be as follows:
- Two subjects from the language group
- One from each of the other four groups
- One more from any of the five groups
- Please note that English Language, English Literature and Global Perspective are compulsory subjects.
- There will be continuous comprehensive evaluation to assess students’ progress.
- In class 10 the students will take the IGCSE assessment in the March Series (Except for Art & Design, Spanish and Design & Technology in November and International Mathematics in June).
- Any change in the choice of subject needs to be made by 15th May.
- Students will also participate in Yoga and sports with the rest of the form.
In addition, to award top candidates with the uppermost achievement, Cambridge awards “Outstanding Achievement Awards” in the categories of “top in country”, and “top in world” for each subject.